Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Watched a team put up 23 runs in the top of the first last night. Scored 33 in 3 innings and of their 9 outs, 4 were by the team intentionally having the runners lead off the base.

It was one of the most impressive/disturbing things I've ever seen in sports. The team they were playing wasn't bad, they just crushed the ball.

2. CardinalVol

My son threw up and 5 others cried. Good first day in helmets yesterday!

3. bigjintx

bigjintx Chieftain

My daughter played All-Star 10U softball the month of June. She has a big bat, fields grounders and throws well, but she has a ways to go catching the ball.

She was at a church camp and fell hard on her knee, swelling it up and getting a wicked bruise. She was in a brace and had to miss one tournament. I was proud of her for toughing it out the next weekend in the last tournament of the year.

I coach first base on her rec team, but it was nice to sit back and just be a fan during All-Stars

4. bigjintx

bigjintx Chieftain

Fun story from youth football from a few years ago. Southlake is the evil empire here. Bigger, faster, and dominant.

We had played them pretty tough but were still down by 3 scores. It was late in the 4th. I had my son playing CB because I could teach him how to set the edge.

This was his first year of tackle, so you could have one offensive and one defensive coordinator on the field during plays. I was the defensive coordinator

They ran a sweep to his side and took it to the house, but he was clearly blocked in the back. The official made the call and the Southlake coach started whining to the official. At some point I told him to quit whining and run a play. I was a little pissed he was so disappointed not to run up the score. We exchanged words and were both ejected. Note: I may have offered to whoop his ass.

It's the only time I was ever kicked out of a game.

justingroves likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

Yup.

One of the things I've learned quickly is how much a couple of other teams coaching staffs are disliked (and I'm sure us by others as well).

Alcoa was pounding one team last year, the other team asked Alcoa's coach if they wanted to put in back ups. HE agreed and they all did. One by one the other team started subbing starters back in. Never got close, but it pissed the Alcoa coach off. End of the game at handshake he just looks at the opposing coach and tells him he better pray they don't meet again in the playoffs.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I will have to say that I am enjoying the view from the other side of the fence right now as well.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Same here.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Lacrosse camp today 11-3. Just put my son in a cold shower. I think the HS and middle school coaches are weeding out already to see what kids fight thru it.

9. bigjintx

bigjintx Chieftain

I think my son has some pretty good tools for lacrosse, but he is all about football and basketball now

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Average size good athlete can do well. Bigger, faster athlete could dominate vs being a dime a dozen in football. Hes going into 6th and trying to make the middle school team. Pretty low chance

11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It still holds true that when you are 12 years old there is still nothing like playing ball on the same team with your buddies.

We went to a stud 12u A class team out of Nashville. Every time they walked in the park the team parents that have been there a few seasons were looking at the bracket to see what time the championship was played. My daughter was doing pretty well. About middle of the pack fundamentally on a team that has Power 5 commits at 12 years old. I was freaking ecstatic. She was never happy though ... finally just said, "I don't care about college right now ... I just miss my friends."

Out of the mouths of babes. Was a wake up call for sure. The game is supposed to be fun.

bigjintx, NorrisAlan and NYY like this.
  12. cotton

It really is. I'm lucky--my son's summer team is a really good group of kids. They had their first USSSA tourney this weekend, and when you spend 13 consecutive hours at the ballpark, you damned well better like the people you are with.

Mixed results, BTW, but they are learning. Definitely improved every game.

13. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Absolutely. This team she was on has players from a pretty wide geographic area and players come and go pretty regularly. Because of that the families aren't really that close and it was a culture shock to us. Her last team was like a big family and we all miss it honestly.

If I'm honest, I manipulated her into thinking she wanted to be on this team because I had those stars in my eyes. I learned my lesson and am happy that she is back with her people and having fun in the dirt again.

Learning and improving is what it's all about at this age. Development is the name of the game.

14. cotton

Yep. Mine learned a hell of a lot in his first weekend tournament. It was like an entire season condensed. It's also a lot more serious, which is good for Cotton jr, and something that he seems to enjoy.

One notable moment: in game 1, mine hits a gb to short and is beating it to first. Throw is high and down the line, so 1B comes off the base and right into the baseline. My kid sees him and stops. 1b dropped it and he tiptoed around the tag to get in safely, but after the game, we talked about that play. I told him he can go around, or bump, or slide, or whatever, but he can't stop. He can't give the kid a chance to make a play on a bad throw. He nods, and I figure it went in one ear and out the other.

Fast forward to game 4. Cotton Jr. hits one off of his fists right down the 1st base line, and all 55lbs of him are hoofing it down the line. 1st moves down the line to make the play and Cotton Jr just [uck fay]ing plows him. I mean, this kid was probably 30# heavier and 6" taller, and they went down like the Tasmanian devil in the cartoon, with gloves and helmets and the ball and maybe a shoe flying everywhere. Mine gets up, touches 1st and sprints to 2nd while the bad guys are trying to gather up the ball. Meanwhile, I'm cheering, then worrying about the kids, then wondering whether I told him the right thing by blowing up a 9 yo, then cheering again. Afterwards, I asked him what happened and he just said, "I did what you told me to do."

bigjintx, smokysbark and CardinalVol like this.
  15. CardinalVol

Kid from Georgia's stat line from LL SE regional on the mound -

11 innings, 0 runs, 7 hits, 26 strikeouts

16. CardinalVol

In 8U football, team with fastest kid wins. And AE had him.

17. CardinalVol

Opened up regular season with a nice W today. Finally played like we are capable of.

Get to make my playcalling debut at 430 with our 7 year old team.

Volst53 and bigjintx like this.
  18. CardinalVol

We are starting to figure out how to play the game of football. It's getting fun.

We've got a 7 year old who is starting to understand more, but understands two things about football very well.

1. Find the person on the other team with the ball.
    2. Hit them as hard as you possibly can.

Kid is a missle from safety.

19. CardinalVol

Biggest game of season tomorrow night, my son is on fire and gotten himself a lot of PT, and he's leaving school today because of throwing up. $&@!*(#^!&*@#^*!(@#)&*!(#_&!*(@#&_!*(^_@&*$^@&*#$

droski likes this.
  20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Had two throwing up on the sideline during our last game....think something is going around.

Hope he’s well, Card.

Of course, I just told mine to suck it up, and get back out there so as to earn my love & acceptance.

CardinalVol and NYY like this.