Here's How A Real Coach Handles Adversity.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Dec 2, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sumlin has recruited for the Aggies and for Oklahoma so it's not like he has no experience do it at a big school.

Houston's overall talent level is pretty good considering what they are.

Tennessee has recruited well nationally for a long time. I don't know how much credit Dooley should get for it. All the "under the radar" guys he has signed haven't done much. Everyone knew Da'Rick, Maggitt and Johnson were studs.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If by "ace recruiter" you mean he's sixth or so in the SEC, you've got a point. Otherwise, it's a complete fallacy.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Our recruiting budget is insane compared to most places, as well. I'd like to think any high level coach could come in here and at least hold middle of the pack in the SEC in terms of rankings, whatever they're worth. We can look at a lot of folks, and get a lot of face time.

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

They could.

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

A lot of these people worrying about losing recruits if Dooley is fired need to understand that most of those guys see a chance to play and would stay committed. Besides, who cares about one recruiting class so much that you keep a shitty coach around?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Add the new facilities Tennessee's building, there's really no reason to lose a kid that comes on campus

7. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I am for firing him but I think you guys think kids come to UT because of the 90s and honestly most do not give a shit...they come because one we can afford to stay in their grill and selling them and because of who is selling them and their skill in sales....we do not have many local recruits we must have a recruiter here...Dooley is good at recruiting IMO as much as he sucks at everything else...

8. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

It is more then the facilities they are a big deal yes...but a guy like Cut does not know how to sell them...it is an art..sales is easy yet so difficult for some...

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think that at all. It's seeing 100,000+ in Neyland, the brand new practice facilities, playing in the SEC and then the coach matters

10. hatvol96

Tennessee has been recruiting well nationally since the '30s. A trained chimp would produce top 20 classes here.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Responsibility.

It's odd how people who actually relish it seem to thrive with it.

12. hatvol96

What the hell does the Duke head coach have to do with Tennessee's recruiting?

13. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I was using Cut as an example of how many gurus cannot recruit and do not fit with the UT job...

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Of all the criticisms of Dooley, most legit, I think this one is the weakest. He's a good recruiter and saying he's sixth in the SEC is a bit of a misnomer. Positions two through 5, where UT is, is pretty negligible and each of his recruiting classes have been borderline top ten classes. "Ace" is a bit much, but he hasn't fallen into the Fulmer lull every other year where he would follow a good class with a shitty one.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Kids go where they think they will a)play; b) win); c) be loved; d) make the league. I don't think they care about facilities that much. If so, USC would never get players. And if they care about locales, UCLA and Ole Miss should win every national championship.

16. hatvol96

His first class isn't in the top 20 without the gifts Kiffin left him. I was being kind by saying he's sixth. I'd love to see Doodles' stupid ass trying to get kids to Fayettenam or Starkville.

17. hatvol96

Arizona State vociferously challenges your last assertion.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Haha. I hate deserts, but yes, I have heard the "scenery" is nice.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You mean he couldn't pull off a top 20 class all by himself in the three weeks from his hire to signing day? Pretty damning, I guess. Otherwise, both last year and thus far this year have been on par with the other powers of the SEC with the exception of the top 1-2. And, when has anyone pulled talent into Fayetteville (since the SWC days and not a lucky haul of local boys who transfer to USC) or Starkville? What does that matter?

This is the problem with a lot of your arguments, in my opinion. It's all either/or with little nuance. Dooley can be a good recruiter and a shitty coach (Fulmer pulled it off for years), which he is, or appears to be. It's not hard to see this about Dooley, I don't know why you are so dead set on going so black and white on the guy. It's entirely possible to say that "Yeah, he can pull in some talent, but has no idea what the [uck fay] to do with it."

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Were he to magically appear and take over the helm 15 days before NSD - Kiffin would be worth 3-5 ranked spots higher than a Dooley class, had he never met a single recruit before the day he was hired.

And while I hate his ass - and I do - he'd be embarrassed by only snagging a middle of the road class in this conference, or one which was only Top 15-20 nationally. Embarassed.

And we're applying the same criteria to Dooley, and using it to assert that the same mediocre results make him an "ace"? Not buying it.

How many times has he failed to sign a game-changing DT - arguably, our most desperate and glaring need - and now, he's still having to go JUCO to (hopefully) begin to solve it. That's not an "ace" to me Jew. Literally, if you weigh more than 250lbs and can get in a 3-point stance, you're a day-one starter, from when you get off the bus....and we can't get one? Two?

That doesn't add up to "ace" to me.