Here's How A Real Coach Handles Adversity.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Dec 2, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, that isn't an unreasonable opinion at all. The problem is that the really, really good kids are going to other places with a great brand that have had recent success. I mean, short of bringing up star gazing, but using it only to make a minute point, which recruits is Dooley bringing in, at any position, that are better than recruits at the same position, at the other major brands?

Do we have the best QB in the league? The best WR? The best RB? The best SS? The best DT? The best MLB?

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Sure. If you are a 5-star and get a letter from Tenn you are going to open it. Not so much if that same letter is from Miss St. But once that coach sits in a living room across from Granny and Aunt Sally, that affiliation becomes less prominent. That's where Dooley has to win a battle between the Sabans, Miles, and Chiziks of the world. Thus far, he seems to have lost more than won.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not at all but if it's the only way you can justify keeping him, then you need to get rid of him

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Right. But if Mama ain't happy nobody happy. The point is, coaches "test" differently with different audiences, to use a TV term. I imagine Rich Rod had a better grip on talking to Alabama mamas than Cleveland ones.

And for Coach O, whatever happened at Marlon Brown's grannies' house that night backfired. It doesn't mean he's a bad recruiter, just that he lost that battle.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

No disagreement from me, as i said in an earlier post, i think the guy is a decent recruiter, but he's not doing better than the opposition.

I'm not justifying keeping him, I said earlier he should've been fired a week ago, just don't understand why some folks are so determined to deny any sort of positive at all. I imagine if I say he hits the toilet when he pisses somebody will disagree with it.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Dooley has an air of Southern entitlement. He dresses sharply, he is impeccable in manner and grooming. He is high class. Saban doesn't have the same air. Saban comes off as a man who worked, and worked hard for what is his. Some of his suits are atrocious. His car is that of a granddad. He is young, but not overtly so. He screams work ethic.

Side by side, they don't sell the same. Dooley might charm a recruit's family, but I wouldn't be surprised if he also doesn't come off as a bit of a salesman. And that is the problem. A good salesman shouldn't come off as a salesman, because you think you are getting played, and in the back of your mind, you are hesitant.

I think Dooley will get recruits. But that is not the same as saying he can recruit.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Nutt would have fielded a far more competetive team with UT's roster in 2011.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Who said this? Or, even inferred this? You continually try to reframe the argument to suit your criticism, but you aren't really addressing the actual point made. It has nothing to do with keeping Dooley because he's a great recruiter or no one else can recruit. Hell, no one has said they want to keep him in this thread, but you keep bouncing your logic around to try and peg this on people when it's not the point. You vacillate between statements saying you have to eliminate any of the positives that Dooley has (Suggesting there are a few of them) and criticizing anyone who suggests there might be.

Fulmer had a number of shitty recruiting classes, so it's not as if UT can just hold open tryouts, and it's entirely reasonable for Dooley to be a good recruiter and a shitty coach, which is what's being said.

9. Unimane

I agree, and no one has suggested otherwise, I don't think. In fact, I'm quite confident we will have a solid recruiting class this year, but not at all confident we'll have a solid performance next fall. My biggest worry is that we'll get to a point where he's recruiting well enough that the talent will artificially prop up his coaching ability and we'll have Fulmer, Part 2. That being a worthless gameday coach who wins in spite of himself because of talent.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I've honestly lost the point, then. I thought the point was to give him time because he seems to be recruiting well and see what happens. I disagree with that, mainly because I don't see any scenario in which he does this:

I didn't see it when we hired him, and I think this season has done nothing but strongly reinforce the notion that we are not on the path to doing that.

I also don't think this is true, at least from the board's perspective. This place was specifically created so that you could come in and voice whatever opinion you wanted. If others disagree, it may be aggressively attacked. You are free to aggressively defend. That is, in fact, the reason this place exists and the reason that most of us are here.

11. Unimane

Points #1 and #3 you make are more directed towards one poster and the last one is a sarcastic comment towards his attitude. I agree with your second point. I never liked the hire, but I was willing to give him a shot and hoped my impression of him was wrong.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Love your stance. People that believe in the wait and see approach are usually disappointed. [uck fay]ing fire this dipshit already.

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Dooley's recruiting is solid, but could be better. Not sure how Worley inflated last year's class. I was never as high on him as all the stat whores were. For the ones mentioning the lack of DTs, I don't seem to remember Kiffin and O having blue chips lined up there either. The biggest name they landed is all of 5'9 and playing FB right now.

Still want him gone.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is true.

I'm not trying to change the subject, but he's frickin sledgehammer of a FB.

Anyways, Fulmer, Kiffin and now Dooley have struggled with recruiting DTs. I wonder why that is? O'Brien is a welcome addition.

15. chavisut

So would Jacobs and Sentimore. Although I wouldn't say they warrant keeping Dooley for next year like bruinvol.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes but (and this isn't a knock on Dooley) why the [uck fay] can Tennessee only get one or two DTs every 3 years that are 4 year players?

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The way Albert Haynesworth has turned out is the only possible answer I got.

18. chavisut

The prospect of making bank turns kids off?

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I realize it was a stretch. I was really trying to imply that I had no idea why.

20. chavisut

There really is no explanation.