On to Florida

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 29, 2014.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Bama in '95 was an 8-3 team coming off an 11 win season.

This Florida squad is nowhere near that caliber. That was a landmark win. This is a judge of whether or not we still really suck.

2. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

There is no reason Tennessee does not take this one Saturday. None. We have been due to win this game for awhile now and we are the better team this year. If we play up to our potential than we should win this one by at least 10 plus.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Exactly

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't disagree. It's just battered fan syndrome.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Just win.

GBFO

6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

The UT players will have a lot of UT lettermen warning them about effing up their win streak [and this team is desperate for a bowl game and needs this win to get 6-6]. That might be enough to keep them from quitting.

- bad logic applied to 2011 Tennessee team and the Kentucky game

Speaking of Kentucky.

They put up 450 yards against Florida.

Kentucky.

Baja needs to match that or exceed it, to be honest.

And also, their #1 WR is calling for a new QB and the staff looks to be behind Driskel. Hurt him enough to make him suck but not enough to leave the game.

7. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

IIRC the odds should have been heavily in our favor in 2002 as well.

.....Should have been.

8. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

We were favored by 4. Lost by 17.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Another factor to consider:

Is Al Matthews calling this game?

10. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

good points

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's has zero to do with caliber of opponent. It's the stigma associated with Florida that was the same with the stigma associated with Bama. If you are going to move forward, you have to overcome what has become the biggest obstacle.

Bama has just been better than us since the day Saban set foot on campus and we're not in the league yet. And we are in Florida's. And while Florida has been better, we've found creative ways to hurt ourselves the last 9 seasons whe nwe did have a shot, much like Bama 86-94.

Edit - after rereading your post, I think we're saying the same thing from two different angles. I'm not saying we're back if we win, it'll just be a big step to officially be out of cellar of the conference to the land of the living.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think from the standpoint of where the team actually is. Wins over Ole Miss, Mizzou or USC would be more important.

UF is more of a historical and perception W. Where the other 3 are more of the meat and potatoes of what you actually are.

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'll be bold, if not a bit stupid here.

I think we beat Florida and Mizzou this year.

Combine that with wins over UTC, Kentucky and Vandy.

7-5 with a bowl game.

I think this team will get steadily better as the season goes on. I expect a down game against Bama but improvement after that.

Close loss to USC.

10-14 point loss to Ole Miss.

But, to be honest, after the gritty performances on the road against far better OU and UGA squads... I'm not discounting this team against anyone but Bama. I wouldn't be surprised with any wins or losses outside of that one game.

14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Weird double post, ignore.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm not one to run up the score but I want to demoralize the gators on Saturday.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am. Especially when it comes to the gators. If you can choose between winning 35-7 and 88-7, you choose the later.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You have to win something of substance at some point before "moral victories" become who you are. I've not seen such a ripe Gator team ready for the picking than this one. They, clearly, do not like playing for Muschamp and teams like that shut down as soon as the going gets tough. I seem to remember having a coach like that, but the name slips my memory.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It's the Gators. If we score a TD to go up 69-3 and miss the PAT, I'll be pissed.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Memory repression. Not uncommon after a traumatic episode.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Screw that, I'll be pissed we let them kick a field goal.