POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I hate how the words racist and racism has been watered down to be synonyms for prejudice, etc.

RockyHill and Volst53 like this.
  2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I think I can explain. If you disagree with a person other than your race, you're a racist. If you disagree with a person of your race, that is on the other race's side, you're a racist. I think.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Thanks for the clarification that he did not call anyone “brown”.

How did he refer to their race?

He’s using “racism” to divide someone, somewhere and somehow, and I’ve now also recorded “cultural fears” to that list.

Is it ok that I’m still ignorant as to who he’s divided, and how he’s done so? Because I am.

4. Tenacious D

Spoken like a typical white person who doesn’t hate themselves strongly enough, or with sufficient frequency.

You don’t like beer, do you?

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I hear what you’re saying. There are some real racist pricks out there. Some looking to do physical harm others looking to make life difficult. Then you have folks with various biases, prejudices, etc on a wide spectrum. Does it create a safer space for the worst by using similar words for all? I’m not sure....but I hear what you’re saying.

The main thing that slows me is that prejudices - in particular unconscious biases - lead to real, racial discrimination. If I discriminate racially, am I not a racist? So putting that label is important to me to help push the urgency of identifying these biases, naming them, and then deciding on whether I can check them or need others to help me be accountable for them.

6. TennTradition

Help me out.

Have you read the thread?

Have you seen the presidents tweets directed at the Progressive Democratic Congresswomen?

It’s all here man....

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

when did this happen?

8. TennTradition

I was summarizing the thread in a bit of a tongue in cheek way because I really just wanted TD to read it or stop playing dumb.

I actually made the case last night that he knew they were born here but doesn’t care. Others argued he likely didn’t know. (Of course, Omar was not).

9. Tenacious D

How could any tweet aimed at “Progressive Democratic Congresswomen” be construed as racist?

I’ve read his tweets and didn’t find them to be racist, insofar as they make no mention of race, at all.

Is the absence of mentioning race somehow now racism, too? Is that what’s happening?

10. TennTradition

Of course you can make a racist comment without mentioning race.

We can discuss whether this is an instance of that.

For example, if he assumed that Tlaib and AOC were not born here because of their race, that would be racist. (I don’t think he did)

If he used their race and cultural background against them (inappropriately I might add as first they are all Americans and deserve to have their voice heard hear as much as the next American and second most of them don’t have a country to go back to - this is it) as a tool that satisfies racial and xenophobic fears in others, then float argued that is a racist act. (On this one I eventually agreed that using race as a tool is racist).

There is no doubt in my mind the tweets were laden with xenophobic tropes. Racism we discussed last night.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

telling a black person to go back to Africa is not racist. the bones, they aren't racist you see. "Go back to Europe, Nancy!" Boom, I should be a consultant.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Ugh, just spit it out. Your feigned ignorance act is always silly. We have to wait two or three posts for you to get to your "determination" already made before entering this thread.

So, let's establish a baseline here. Is Trump tweeting these women should "go back to their countries" and "hate America" (or anti-American, whatever), wrong, ignorant, prejudiced, right, silly, strategic or what in your opinion?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    TennTradition likes this.
  13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Conversely, unless someone says "I hate black people", then it isn't racism (And, even then, he might have a black friend or two to make it debatable).

I think there are people who take it too far on each side of the ledger, but people seem too often willing to listen to those marginal voices and determine they are the mainstream voice.

kmf600 likes this.
  14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Um. They haven't been. Racism is a classification, or stratification, of prejudice.

An example is: if I'm prejudiced against blue eye'd people, I'm an oculus caerileusist. It tells you the specific type of prejudice that I am.

If I'm that on a race... it's called racist.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Are you prejudging blue eyed people based upon the belief that brown eyed people are genetically superior?

16. fl0at_

Why does it matter what the origin of the prejudice is?

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Because that is how the word racism or racist has been watered down. It used to include "based on the belief that one's own race is genetically superior". In the past it mattered; today not so much.

18. fl0at_

Again, false. Racism is a classification. Superiority is a higher classification called supremacy. Which is why white supremicists are called "white supremicists," and not simply "white racists."

Racism is predjudice based on race. There is no supremacy requirement.

19. fl0at_

So I don't have to keep hashing this same thing, can everyone who thinks racism has to include supremacy tell me when the change from "white racist" to "white supremicist" occurred?

Because surely it must be a new thing, if racism just recently started leaving out supremacy.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

it reminds me of the "separate but equal" platform.