Romney Intends to be "Unapologetically Aggressive" Toward Obama

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 4, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no it isn't. there is zero chance it becomes illegal. the birth control issue is the right of private organizations to decided what they will and will not pay for. no one is forcing anyone to work for or go to any religious schools or organizations.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

even if you dislike the man you have to admit he has a certain magnetism. you don't get elected president with less than zero experience unless you are a dynamic person.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Got to get stretched out before the game, imo.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

obama invented my way or the highway. his constant "i'm trying to comprimise, but they are all assholes" bullshit seems to be believed by the american public.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree with that. I was referring to GOP's social stance that tends to be more about exclusion than inclusion. I should have been more clear.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems pretty pompous and smug to me. Bush didn't exactly come across as a genius, but I'd say removing all political boundaries he is probably 10x more likeable.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

As Unimane's post, I really don't disagree with much, if any of it, except I do recall Obama specifically saying that Wright was his most valued mentor/advisor and that his teachings were so incredibly influential. It's hard for people to ignore that.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

being good looking and speaking well goes very far with the american public.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He is a better speaker than Bush, but I think his oratory excellence is overblown. His voice is kind of annoying and if you played a drinking game with his "um"s and "you know"s, you'd probably get alcohol poisoning.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Really? Libya wasn't a pretty solid job of getting the job done and doing so in a cost-effective manner?

11. Unimane

Totally disagree with this. The Republicans have been boldly stating that their objective is to oppose Obama at all costs since his inauguration in 2009. Hell, it's not like I even discerned this from my own biases, this was the actual Republican statement made by their chairman. As a liberal, this actually pissed me off about Obama as he had two years of a Democratic Congress to push through anything he wanted, but wanted to include the Republicans on the deal.

Now, not only did he miss the opportunity to push through a bunch of stuff we liberals wanted, somehow he's the one who was the one who was the one shutting the other side out. Surreal.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think this is grossly naive. He didn't get anything pushed through because the Republicans turned public opinion so much against it that even the Democratic Party wouldn't follow Obama on it. In short, Obama wasn't good enough politically to sell what he wanted to do to the public in order to push it through. Case in point, the Universal Healthcare Bill with the public option.

13. Unimane

No, the problem was that he caved to the Republicans by allowing them to create the dialogue in the health care debate in hopes that they would get on board somehow and offer their own suggestions (for a plan they originally created in 1994). Perhaps, that was Obama showing his lack of political skill in deluding himself into thinking the Republicans would welcome his approach and not see it as a weakness, which they did.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Come on, Unimane. If he could have slammed the public option through, he would have. He couldn't.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

He could have... He didn't because he didn't want to spend all his political capital of his term at once.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Republicans turned public opinion against it, and it made it impossible to pass. It's really as simple as that.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you say so. As it is, he got something through that is still billed to be the worst thing ever to happen to America.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

How was that difficult? There were enough far-left Democrats that were willing to vote for Healthcare Reform no matter what it looked like, and the other Democrats wouldn't vote for the public option. Obama's own proposal, which he touted all through the campaign, was whittled down to nothing but a huge waste of money passed solely to be able to claim, "Look everybody, we passed healthcare reform" because he couldn't rally his own party to his original plan. That's not an accomplishment.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

That sounds a lot more like what unimane was saying about him trying to be inclusive to Republicans. Which is it?

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

How? I don't think he included Republicans at all. But, he did have to hold on to his own party, which he couldn't because many of them would not support the public option. They would not support the public option because of the Republican assault on the bill. Thus, Obama was willing to pass anything to say he passed Healthcare Reform, and that's what happened.