Should All Votes Count, Equally?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 20, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hence they are provided ample time to make transportation arrangements.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Yawn....

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The real question is this:

Do the larger bathrooms I'm offering also have strict guidelines on which genders can and can't use which bathrooms?

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

If you travel to vote, you can travel to get an ID to vote.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That misses the point (and you know it). No one is denying or diminishing the right to vote, by anyone, but just the opposite. It's so fundamentally important as to warrant protection from any possible abuse.

Get a government issued photo ID, come to the polling place and just go nuts. Pull any levers you see fit.

Besides, owning a gun is a constitutional right, and I have to produce the same government issued photo ID - AND pass a background check! (the nerve!) - to exercise that right.

Please link the post where you've objected to that, in an attempt to protect me from "firearm ownership suppression".

7. Tenacious D

I was just talking about this with someone the other day.

The Dems and GOP spend millions on getting their party people out to vote, but who is trying to reach out and get the 60% (IIRC) of eligible voters back in the game, and casting ballots.

I think that the government should fully fund a get out the vote initiative, and put the ex-POTUS' in charge of running it.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Wait, you're telling me people in New York City and other urban areas don't need to drive a car? Crazy talk.

Voter IDs is simply a method of keeping the number of voters that tend to vote in a certain manner from voting by circulating a non-existent problem to remedy. The only real tangible result is to restrict voting for people who should be able to vote rather than prevent a problem that doesn't actually exist.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/Politics-Voices/2014/0807/Voter-ID-laws-a-solution-in-search-of-a-nonexistent-problem

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Then they get an ID card that they also use to get into bars, go on an airplane, etc etc

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Those people still have a photo ID. They just don't have a drivers license

11. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

This

12. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

And this

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Where have you lived, in your life? It doesn't work that way in many places, which happen to be some of the most populous places.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

These aren't people that go to bars or on airplanes. These are legitimately poor people, disabled people, etc. I mean, I know that's a shocker. But yes, people without ID's DON'T do those things either.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We think it's a good idea to get most people to vote? Have you met most people?

16. Tenacious D

Speaking of the anamolous.

Is that your experience? The more populated the place, the less services are available? That must be why the population of Death Valley is exploding, and NYC is a ghost-town.

Just admit it - you're only arguing because you believe that an extra step would be a too-steep hill for many to take, in order to vote. You're not afraid that they couldn't get an ID, but wouldn't, instead.

17. Tenacious D

Do these people get medical treatment? How about government subsidies? You have to have ID's for those, too.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

No. Contrary to the conservative radio ghost stories, there are poor people who take nothing, get nothing, and are still denigrated. And this is nothing new. Used to be you'd get fined for walking around town with less than 10 bucks in your pocket. "Vagrancy."

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Is it up to $10 now?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was 10 bucks in the 60's.