Summer Olympics 2016: Rio

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorrisAlan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Or people get their popcorn and turn it on to hopefully see a trainwreck.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah, Americans live for shitshows.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This is exhibit 1 for limited business knowledge.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/06/media/nbc-olympics-rio/

The Rio Olympics, set to run from August 5 to August 21, have succeeded in generating interest from advertisers. NBC has already exceeded $1 billion in ad sales.

Otherwise, you're telling me that their revenue doesn't largely come from ad sales?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

If fewer Americans are competing, fewer will watch. If all the contenders are not entered, the games lose their relevance. TV networks base their broadcast bid on market share, which has to be way over the top to come out with the cost of the Olympics. Many times, a network takes a calculated loss on the rights cost for the prestige of carrying them, with selling the air time to local advertisers making it up.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This election proves that

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd expect that the majority of revenue that gets generated for the olympics is through economic impact of the tourists that arrive and sponsors. I doubt nbc pays the host county much at all. Very few Olympics have made money.

8. Unimane

Well, I don't think that there will be any issues regarding Americans competing in events and, with the amount of ad time they have sold, seem to have nearly recouped their costs anyway.

9. Unimane

Oh, yeah, for the hosts, this is a money pit. I was speaking strictly about NBC, though.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

11. Unimane

Yes, it is. I linked it earlier. It's two months old, also, so I have to think that they have sold even more ad time. I have to think that sponsors and the meteor network were counting on high viewership.

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

There are already some who have withdrawn with others considering it. Just because time has been sold doesn't mean it will stay sold. It was sold based on a certain market share. If it falls short, they could have to discount it. Not doing so would cost them more than they would gain.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don't know of any American who is a huge draw or 'star' in swimming, volleyball, gymnastics or track who is passing on the Olympics.

I would consider those the 4 that NBC spends the most time on and draws the highest ratings. While all the golfers are dropping out, I don't think gold f was going to move the needle in the first place.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I forgot about USA basketball which of course people will watch, and the US women's soccer team, which people will watch too. I have never looked at ratings from each year of the Olympics, but I can't imagine the delayed stuff is better than that in real time, as it will be this year.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Michael Phelps is going.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Damn it I realized I misread Dooz's post and deleted it within ten seconds.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

LeBron and curry home.

18. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

This would be when the marginal watcher shows up.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Will still be watched.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Yeah, they're fired up to watch our best stay home.