The Great Bathroom Debate

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by g8terh8ter_eric, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If you have a voice like Johnny Cash...

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

This would be my own personal law, were I actually king. Use the bathroom that matches your plumbing.

However, it is a different argument to discuss what the criteria should be for passing a law to determine which bathroom you must use and arguing whether having any law that determines bathrooms is discriminatory because someone may "feel" differently than the law proscribes. There is a religious argument for the birth certificate law to which I don't really subscribe, but if you passed a law based solely on ding-dongs and hoo-hahs, you'd have the same backlash. It's about fluidity and choice and breaking down any distinction based on gender, not the 11 people in North Carolina who might have had any issue at any point in history.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd say the 1960's, within the scientific community. You're making two verifiable mistakes: You are assuming everyone is either an XX female or XY male, and you're assuming sex is the same as gender. Those are general norms, but certainly not the only possibilities. If even one out of 100 falls outside of that, we're talking about 3 million Americans. This isn't just a PC, diversity issue. It's reality. Nature/God is not in the business of making paper dolls, everything the same.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'm of the opinion that we never had a law before and it was never an issue, so why mess with a good thing.

5. cotton

I'm not making a mistake; you are pushing an agenda.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Everyone is pushing an agenda.

The pictures VolDad has supplied are perfect examples. Yes, they have a penis or a vagina, but you would only know it if you inspected them. Would you want those "boys" having to walk into a boys room? How embarrassing for everyone involved.

I just don't see the issue here.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Why is a law needed? Seems common sense has worked just fine up until this point.

8. cotton

How is asking how gender should be determined pushing an agenda? How is it making a mistake?

I think the "whatever you want to be" argument is problematic. Why is that position unacceptable?

9. cotton

I believe the laws are in response to federal regulations regarding open bathroom use.

EDIT: FTR, I am very much in favor of fewer laws and fewer regulations, so i get your question.

10. RockyHill

I think there's an issue with the "gender you identify with" mantra. For legit trans people I think having a law is stupid, just use common sense. I just don't like the idea that anyone can pick what gender they would like to be.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm really really not. Some people are neither boys or girls. This is fact.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Just out of curiosity, why?

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I did some research:

Charlotte City Council approved LGBT protections in 7-4 vote Monday night.

After more than three hours of impassioned public comment Monday night, Charlotte City Council approved new legal protections for gay, lesbian and transgender people – a decision that will likely provoke a battle with the General Assembly, which could nullify the city’s historic vote....

The changes mean businesses in Charlotte can’t discriminate against gay, lesbian or transgender customers, in addition to long-standing protections based on race, age, religion and gender. The ordinance applies to places of public accommodation, such as bars, restaurants and stores. It also applies to taxis.

The most controversial part of the ordinance would allow transgender residents to use either a men’s or women’s bathroom, depending on the gender with which they identify.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article61786967.html#storylink=cpy

North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans

The North Carolina General Assembly called lawmakers back to Raleigh on Wednesday for a special session. The reason wasn’t a pressing budget crisis, a natural disaster, or court-mandated redistricting. (That happened last month.)

Instead, legislators returned to the state house to overrule a local ordinance in Charlotte banning discrimination against LGBT people.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-discrimination-transgender-bathrooms/475125/

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And that's been true forever and somehow we've avoided this "problem"

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You are his father, are you dressing him up as a girl?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Could you define what a man is, and what a woman is for me? Because it is this false dichotomy that is problematic.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Weird, I thought this was about child molesters.

18. RockyHill

Because it allows perverts and pedophiles free reign.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I thank God I am not in the situation but I hope that I would be supportive.

20. cotton

No. The falsehood is that there is no difference.